Monday, October 29, 2007

Sarawak Mission Trip

I'm back, thank you for your prayers. Other than being 'loved' by sand flies all over my legs & trying not to scratch them, I'm well and alive :) Haha.

It was indeed a priceless experience of God's Love & Faithfulness, a humbling journey indeed. A testimony of how simple life & love can be, without judgement. The Ibans are such a warm and hospitable tribe of people. They served us with all they had, accepted us as one of them and gave up their best rooms and places for us to sleep. When they worship God, their Faith was childlike yet full of passion.

Indeed, Love has no language barriers. I was truly blessed by each and every step taken for the past week. No tiredness can take over the overwhelming experience. With this trip, somehow the Old Testament which I really dread, becomes so much more alive in me.

This missions trip marked a milestone in my journey, to be remembered for life...and I know, the real challenge begins when I'm back to my world, when all the emotions begin to fade. Whether am I able to translate what I have taken with me into action. Prayerfully by God's Grace, I can...we really have less to complain and much to be contented with and grateful for. The Ibans may not have much but they surely have a lot of Love, translated into actions
If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

Glimpses of the trip:

The team of different individuals, blended perfectly

The 1st Longhouse at Debak

Those are real skulls, left by yesteryears headhunters. Creepy eh?

The children

This boy in pink was just so entertaining, simply adore him. His name is Unchai

The Ibans at Serantok, burnt down longhouse. A quick stop we made to see them on our way to Selangking

They served us with what they have, such generosity

Have you traveled with chickens in the same van for 4 hours?

Before the 3 hour hike to Selangking

Crossing the rivers

Yay! With God, all things are possible!

Presenting to you Selangking Longhouse, where we stayed for 2 nights. We really have grown to love the residents there. I was sad deep inside when we had to leave to another longhouse

Wouldn't you love this view every morning?

The free medical clinic. Our team consist of a doctor

Baptismal

Unique bananas

Have you seen a babi hutan before? Ain't he cute?

Phython!!!

Sumpit

Traditional Iban dance. He is real good!

The wannabes. We came out with the term "chi-ban" (chinese + iban)



The agile kid

This boat ride was such a beauty

The wonders of His Creations (these are actual pictures taken during the trip)





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

welkum back to civilization..hahaha or is it?

Maybe agora penang or what is left of it should organize a day trip into nearby OA village just to check out...any takers to plan?

since we've got a missionary who just came back frm swak, a missionary from PJ and I've got a bit experience of OA mission myself, so if you guys are game, we can identify one kg and adopt it.

Then we can go and see how we can bless one another...

Jack

enn@j said...

I'm ok but a bit tied up towards end of the year.

We actually had 1 Iban lady who traveled back with us to penang to see her daugther who was hospitalised 2 years ago due to burnt. She hasn't seen her daugther that long. For a start, I can find out the details and we can pay them a visit. Will share her story more with you when we meet lah

kiawin said...

oh.. you met my relative there.. hahaha

enn@j said...

wahaha *oink oink*

Anonymous said...

wow looks like really something babes. I'm sure its an experience that you won't ever forget and more so how you were able to touch the lives of others over there in sarawak. Praise God for that!

ANd welcome back to the city haha