Thursday, March 13, 2008

Many have asked...

"Why are you moving back to KL?"

That's not the point. Its not about the location. If you are interested, let me take you through a little journey with me..

When I moved back to penang about 2 1/2 years ago, it was quite hard for me to part with my life in KL. I enjoyed my job in the media and was surrounded by wonderful friends.To some, it maybe sound like giving up a career. But it was a decision I had to make because I knew I was going home for a better purpose - for my family. What exactly is the purpose, I wasn't sure myself either but I believed it was timely to just be home. Let God do His work, I just needed to be in Penang for a period of time. I knew it wasnt going to be forever, perhaps for just a span of 2 years.

Mom started going to church, made the decision to get baptised and is now regularly attending service and serving as an usher in the Mandarin congregation. I remembered the night when I prayed the sinner's prayers with my sister, we both had tears in our eyes. We even moved in to a small rented flats as a family now. You see? I never had the luxury of staying with just my parents. Growing up, my family stayed in just a room, in a house with my granny, uncles, aunty and cousins. We weren't well to do. Even when I first came back, I stayed with my aunty for about a year, travelling between my parent's place and my aunt's place everyday.

Life hasn't been all that smooth flowing as I soon find myself working in one of the most demanding sales job for a multinational. I was miserable almost everyday of my life there but I needed a better paying job at that point of time and so almost 2 years passed by. The plus side, I earned a little more, could provide a little more for my family, made wonderful friends there and for the first time, travelled out of the country and sat in a plane! But I didnt want to spend the rest of my life just earning as slowly my heart yearned to be a part of a meaningful life. I wanted my life to count because we have only One Life to live right? In my journal records, I wanted to be a part of an NGO with children related work yet exercising my so-called secular skills for a better cause. I wanted so much to be a part of World Vision but was rejected twice last year. My time has not arrived then.

Now it has and God has everything to do with it. I can't believe I'm going to be a part of World Vision. I'm really excited and at the same time, I'm in doubt if I have sufficient compassion to do what it takes. But that's not the point, isnt it? It's not about the location nor whether I have what it takes, but it is about God who calls and we, to answer our callings.

I'm taking a pay cut, digested the fact I can never keep up to my peers in owning houses or other luxuries of life and definitely uncertain where this will take me but I know, there awaits me a deep sense of Joy. I remembered telling God once, "If my family is what it takes for me to come home, then it has to take something bigger to take me away from them". I will miss them but again, this is a decision I needed to make. I'm leaving to KL tomorrow afternoon and will be at work for One Life Revolution at Mid Valley over the weekend. Come check us out! You only have One Life, Do Something :)


"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"
(National Geographic, Nov 2006)

In this case, death to ourselves is required for adventures with Christ.

No comments: